Welcome to our blog.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chapter 13 Overindulgence



If we fail to understand how to fill our souls with spiritual nourishment, we will be triggered to numb our longings with temporary physical pleasures. – Lysa TerKeurst

There is some great wisdom in these words. When we find ourselves overindulging, the best thing to do is stop, take stock of what we’re doing, and figure out what our need is. Do we really need this second bowl of ice cream? What’s really going on? What longing are we seeking to fill with a temporary feel-good?

Do we really long for God? I’m discovering that I have a long way to go in this area, but the more I pursue Him the more I want of him. I love the verse that Lysa quoted from Psalm 42:1-2. As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?

There’s an urgency in those words. Did you notice the question at the end? The Psalmist couldn’t wait to meet with God. My prayer for all of us today is this, “God, give us this kind of thirst for you. Give us a desire for you that consumes us. Overpower us with a longing for you that’s so passionate, we can’t wait to get on our knees before you. Fill our desires with you and be our portion.”

May the words of the song above, fill you today as you think of God as your portion. Seek him.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I praise God for this eye oping of the Word of God and this is my prayer as well. I enjoy all that I am learning even though I have struggled and I am a bit behind on my study.