Welcome to our blog.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Stinkin' Rotten, Horrible, No Good Day


Chapter 11 made me think of the children's book, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. The story starts out, "I went to bed with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning, I tripped on my skateboard..." Much of Alexander's troubles were due to his own choices and responses to events in his day. I think that's true of us as well. We make choices that push us further and further on a downward spiral until we eventually look around ourselves and wonder, "How did I get here? And how do I get out?"


I'm sure many of us can relate to Lysa's thoughts on those hard times when we just don't have it in us to fight this battle. Those high-stress times such as the loss of a loved one, past-due bills with no income, a serious illness of our own or of someone we love, or times when depression attempts to suffocate us with ever-increasing darkness. During these times, we must lean on God and his strength to make healthy choices.


What are our prayer lives like? I think this idea of sitting quietly before the Lord is full of power. Sometimes we spend so much time talking, listing need after need, that Holy Spirit can't get a word in edge-wise. Sitting silently before him allows God to work in our hearts. We calm our minds and spirits down long enough that we can finally hear his still small voice. Once we have ears to hear, then He can teach us new truths to combat those lies that have had a death-grip on our thinking.


I want to issue a challenge to all of us. Let's find some time today to just sit quietly before the Lord. No laundry lists. No I need, or I want, or please do. Just sit and allow the Holy Spirit to touch our inner most beings.

No comments: