Welcome to our blog.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Patience - More than a Disposition Chapter 13



I just thought some ocean scenes and sounds would be so fitting with what Kelly shares regarding God's relentless patience:

"God's relentless patience has met me much like ocean waves rolling on the shore - there's always another round if I don't get it the first time, or the hundred-and-thirty-second"  Kelly Minter

What peace we can take away knowing He never gives up on us.

Patience for us is produced as a "fruit" of the spirit.  Good fruit comes from a vine or tree that is carefully tended and pruned as needed.  We grow patience/longsuffering and sometimes how we are feeling at the moment we like to think of it as "patience" and then there are those times it definitely feels like "long as in loooong - suffering"

If we could just step back in the moments and consider the example He set before us.
"He embodied patience by choosing to remain silent, refraining from striking back, even praying for His crucifiers, saying "Father forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing"

1 comment:

Lisha said...

I was really amazed at the meaning of patience in Colossians 3:12 that Kelly shared; the quality of a person who is able to avenge himself, yet refrains from doing so. My immediate thought was, "Be silent." I had an opportunity to express patience just yesterday. Someone posted a comment to my blog. I don't know who they are, and I didn't grant approval for the comment to show up on the blog. This person challenged me about something I wrote several months ago, claiming it was not true and calling me "homophobic." I decided to exercise patience and merely deleted the commment rather than respond.

Patience is an area that I can really struggle with. I tend to do better at patience with things or circumstances than I do with people. As an elementary teacher, my patience is continually tried, and I fall far short of where I'd like to be. I need the work of the Holy Spirit in this area.